Re: I think it's using the wrong assembler, please help

Hey thanks for the response Niklaus-2.

I'm betting this is a problem with either the options I use on configure or
the files I am building from in the gcc-3.3.3 folder, somewhat like your
possibility number 2.  I don't think it is the binutils, because I obtained
binutils as binaries and did not build them myself, I am pretty sure those
work correctly.

It seems to me that the make process is using the wrong assembler, as it is
using the i686 on this .asm file that appears to be an ARM assembly file.
i686 assembler will not be able to correctly assemble ARM code :)

I think I need to give more info, sorry I didn't already.

The compiler being used to compile the cross-compiler is gcc version 3.3.5.
I beleive it came with my debian distro.
The cross-compiler I am trying to build is gcc version 3.3.3, targeted at
the arm-wince-pe platform.  I am using files from Mamaich's PocketGCC
(headers and libs) to make up for what gcc v3.3.3 distro doesn't have.  I
found the Mamaich gcc here:
I am unable to configure and build Mamaich's PocketGCC itself.  I could
probably build it in its distro state, but that would defeat the purpose
because I need to be able to configure this thing.
The assembler I want it to use was part of a debian binutils package that
targets arm-wince-pe.  I have actually managed to compile stuff with an
arm-wince-pe-gcc from a related package.  Those can be found at this site:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/pocketpc-gcc
I chose to build gcc v3.3.3 because it is what Mamaich used, and since I
will probably be putting some of his files into this compiler, I figure it
would help if the versions matched.  I am doing this combo of gcc v3.3.3
distro with Mamaich pgcc because it worked for someone else.

I am not building binutils myself because I do not feel I need to.  I'm
pretty sure the ones someone else has built will do just fine.  What I want
to do is configure my own compiler, the other stuff can be pre-built.  Let
me know if this won't work.

So I wonder, why is it using the wrong assembler?  How do I make it use the
right one (I'm already using --with-build-time-tools=dir)?  Am I wrong about
that?
Sent from the gcc - Help forum at Nabble.com.