GCC 3.x or 4.x with Checker

Hello,

What ever happened to the Checker GCC (http://www.gnu.org/software/checker/) that was around towards GCC 2.8/EGCS 2.95 time frame. My understanding of this bounds checking was that fairly minor modifications to the compiler were necessary to add the necessary changes to code output. This was done with the -fcheck-memory-usage argument to GCC. Then you simply wrapped all your code with the necessary bounds checking, most of libc wrapper was already included in the Checker package.

Is it possible to revive this package for use with GCC 3.x or 4.x ?

I have searched the list and found some references to valgrind package which is another angle on tackling similar bugs, however it runs the resulting code under a CPU emulator. I already have legacy code which can be built with gcc-checker and would like to reuse all that work to investigate new bugs.

Darryl