Re: Stability of GCC 4.1 & gprof question

Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

"David Carter-Hitchin" <carter-hitchin@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi, a) Can anyone say if GCC 4.1 is production ready now?  I heard
about some issues with 4.0, so hopefully 4.1 might be mature enough.
Platform would be RHEL3 with Opteron if that is relevant. b) Is this
the right mailing list for help gprof - I tried to find such a thing
dedicated to gprof but could find one.  My question is that when
profiling code which loads shared objects, do the shared objects get
profiled, or do you have to do something special to get them profiled?

a) This is the right gcc list for the question, but we are probably
the wrong people to ask.  As far as most of us are concerned 4.0.3 is
ready for production code.  It is being used in the Fedora Core
GNU/Linux distribution, for example.  But only you can decide whether
is ready for your code.

Although I'm sure Fedora is used productively, it is mainly a "home" or "hobbyist" O/S, so I wouldn't count this as a production example. Had you said RHEL4 was using 4.0.3 that would be a different matter. I realise that it might be difficult to get responses at this stage of 4.x's progress, but nevertheless I thought it worth asking if anyone from industry or finance (for example) is using it yet. When 4.1 comes along I'll find some time to run some tests, but before I did that I just wanted to hear any stories about peoples experiences so far.

b) gprof is usually covered on the binutils mailing list.  See
      http://sourceware.org/binutils/
  If you want to profile shared objects, you need to compile them
  with profiling turned on.  If you do that, it should work.  Or use
  oprofile, which does not require a special compilation option.

Thanks for that - I'll sign up.

Cheers,
David.