Re: missing libc with -m32

Pierre-Matthieu anglade wrote:

I've been told that on ubuntu64, the 32 bit libs lives in /usr/lib32
while the 64 bits one lives in /usr/lib. There is no standard but on
other distro you have respectively /usr/lib and /usr/lib/64. can't
your problem come from that to some extent?

The point is that the Ubuntu-provided original native GCC should use
the '/lib32' and '/usr/lib32' stuff automatically when producing 32-
bit apps. But a self-built GCC may fail alteady in its build stage
when the GCC sources expect the system following the current standards.

With cases like this some basic sanity should be used. If the native GCC
can compile and link a 32-bit "Hello World", there can be some sanity in
trying to configure and build a big 32-bit application. Otherwise there
is not much sanity and the problem seen during the Hello World
production should first be solved.