missing libc with -m32

We are trying to build wine on an Ubuntu 64-bit system. The configure script
fails saying that it cannot generate the executables. On inspecting the
config.log file we find that when trying to compile an c++ or c program with
the -m32 flag (ex. gcc -m32 hello.c) the compiler cannot find an appropriate
libc.a or libc.so file to link with. It skips multiple "inappropriate"
libc.a and libc.so files and then finally give up saying it cannot find -lc.
Can you give us some guidance on what to do about this problem?

Tom Laub