Re: How Can I Get See A Memory Map For An Executable

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Steven Woody <narkewoody@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> thank you, but neither of these commands can clearly print size of each segment
>> ( such as heap, bss, text). but, thanks anyway.
>
> The size program will print the size of the text and bss sections.
>
> The size of the heap program is determined at runtime.  I do not know
> of any program which can determine it statically.

if the heap is not determined statically, how much in size at startup the
program get the big pool to allocate for each 'new' or 'malloc' calling?

>> > In general, the answers are yes and yes.
>>
>> thanks.  could you also tell me what's the difference between local heap and
>> global heap, i can not recall where i heard the the terms.
>
> I don't know where you heard the terms either.  On a typical Unix (or
> GNU/Linux) system, programs have only one heap.

at least, for embedded system, the programmer has to specify how much size for
each kind of heap, NEAR heap, FAR heap, etc.  for Linux, i've not got the
picture.

--
steven woody (id: narke)