Re: F77 code under gcc

On Nov 4, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Alex Tzanov wrote:

So shall I understand no support for F77 at all? Or there are options for F77 dialect?
Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.

F77 is a subset of f90. Therefore *ALL* f90 compilers support f77, by definition. No special option is needed. If the code in question uses features that were not standard Fortran of any version, then that's a different matter. Nonstandard code sometimes has problems when ported to different compilers. That's exactly why the standard exists. The question of nonstandard code has nothing in particular to do with f77 vs f90.

However, from a quick glance at your reported symptoms, this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with f77, f90, compiler switches, or anything along those lines. The compiler does not appear to be properly installed at all. Note that's what the message says, with "gcc: installation problem". The next part of the message, "cannot exec 'f951': No such file or directory" indicates that part of the compiler can't be found. In fact, if I recall correctly, that would be pretty much the main part of the compiler.

I don't have enough information to figure out how it got in that state, but what you have is clearly a problem with getting the compiler installed. Fiddling with options won't change that. I think Richard Guenther already gave you the basic answer. It doesn't look like you actually have the gfortran compiler installed at all. I don't have a copy of SuSE 10 handy to check.

I note that you cited Novell as claiming that the rpm was created with support for f77. I don't know exactly what that means (and I don't know exactly what they said), but that doesn't explicitly say that they include gfortran. It could mean any of several things. It could mean that they include gfortran - but your evidence seems to be arguing against it. It could mean that they include a driver that supports gfortran, but that you also have to install another rpm to complete it. (That actually seems quite plausible from the symptoms - perhaps the most likely case). It could mean that they supply a g77. Alternatively, it could be out-of-date in that an earlier version included g77 and they failed to update their documentation.

On thinking about it, the symptoms really sound a lot like there is an additional rpm that you need. Not having a copy of SuSe 10 handy (I've got some 9.x copies, but no 10), I can't diagnose further than that. But if that's the case, it is far more a question of SuSe's particular packaging choices than anything about the compiler.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
Richard.Maine@xxxxxxxx       |  experience comes from bad judgment.