M32C gcc status / infos

Hi,

we consider using the M32C port of gcc for our custom made M32C board.
Currently we use the IAR compiler, but we want to switch to the gcc.
There are some questions about the state of this compiler:
- Do you think the M32C port is stable enough for usage in non-critical
  applications?
- How can I get a gcc version supporting the M32C? Is there a patch
  against 4.0.2? Shall I use the pre 4.1.0 version from CVS? What would
  you suggest?
- Are there any issues when compiling this version for mingw or cygwin?
- I am not really sure, but I believe that the M32C supports efficient
  accesses to single bits or bitfields within hardware registers of the
  M32C and that the IAR compiler supports these accesses. Is there
something
  similar available for the gcc?

Tia for any help,
-jr