Re: Puzzled by const string& parameter

See below for my reply.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Eljay Love-Jensen <eljay@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Neo Anderson <neo_in_matrix@xxxxxxx>, gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Puzzled by const string& parameter
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:22:26 -0500

Hi Neo,

>It gives the impression that it is a gcc specific feature and the standard does not require this.

No, that is not the case. That's why I specifically mentioned that the error is REQUIRED by ISO 14882.

Can you copy/paste for me? Thanks.

>Because even I pass a temporary string& s and modifiy it, it won't make any damages to my program.

What happens if you inadvertently pass in a temporary?

// i is initialzed by foo().
void foo(long& i);
int bar; // Uninitialized, but we'll initialize with foo().
foo(bar); // DOH!

I don't think your example gives me anything. int and long are different types (although on most 32-bit platforms, they are all 4 bytes). How about this:

void foo(long& i);
long bar;
foo(bar);

Can you tell me where the DOH is?