Questions on EMT64...

Hello List

I've got a shiny new 4 way Xeon server sitting here and am trying to decide which distro to install on it... I've found both x86 and x86-emt64 of various distros and don't know which one will be best from a gcc perspective.

I have some basic questions that I was hoping you folks could help with:
- Will native compiled EMT64 binaries run on a 32 bit x86 (I'm thinking this is a "no", but just want to make sure)
- Can I build binaries that will run on a 32 bit x86 under an EMT64 OS?
- If so, do I need to build a cross compiler to do this? Or does a newly built gcc support both modes?

I've built Linux to Solaris (on SPARC) cross compilers before, but this seems a bit different as both x86 and EMT64 still support 32 bit executables, so I'm a bit confused on this...

If someone could help me out or point me to the right place I'd appreciate it. I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC my address in your responses.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Mark Cuss, B. Sc.
Real Time Systems Analyst