Dropping unused functions out of linked file

Dear GCC-Help,

Is there any way during the link or compile processes to drop out functions and variables that are not used? Part of my source code includes generic modules provided by another vendor and I only need about 30% of the code that is in those source files. The optimisation -Os does not drop them out and I can see no options in the link process to do this. I am using the MSP430 port of gcc though this seems to be a GCC thing rather than specific to the MSP430 port.

Any ideas?

Brian