Strange way to access member function

Hi,
This is a piece of code I found while going through a web site..
Surprisingly it compiles and gives the expected output(prints the line), even though the pointer is initialized to NULL.

I am using gcc 3.3 on Mac OS X.

Can any one tell me what's happening?
What's the point of having static member functions when you can access functions like this?

#include <iostream.h>
class Simple {
    public :
             void memfunction()
             {
                cout << "Hello I am in memFunction" ;
             }

};

Simple *objSimple = NULL;

void wrapper()
{

/* how we are able to access the member function , when we had not
created an object ?  then wht's the use of Static meber functions ?
 */
   objSimple->memfunction();

}

int main()