Re: 88k builds on ancient hardware without alloca()

Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1) Any ideas if a build exists with 88k support that doesn't require
> alloca() to be present? If not then it pretty much kills the whole
> idea :-)

libiberty includes a replacement for alloca which should be adequate
to bootstrap gcc.  gcc always has alloca support.

> 2) Has anyone ever documented what typically needs to be done to port to
> a new platform for the old builds? I'm still not quite clear on what I
> might have to write myself and how much should build straight out of the
> box with tweaks to the configuration file. Just because 88k support
> exists it presumably doesn't rule out there being quirks with the
> Tektronix platform.

Not specifically.  There is documentation for gcc internals which
discusses what needs to be done, but more in the sense of "this what
you can do" rather than "this is what you should do."  Look at the
manual for the release you are trying to use.

> 3) Same goes with documentation for cross-compiling gcc from a different
> machine (say PC/Linux) - did anyone ever document the process for the
> older versions of gcc?

The process has been pretty much the same for all of gcc 2.x: run
configure with the right options.

> 4) Primary reason for not going for a later version of gcc is due to
> lack of resources on the Tek (it is 15 years old after all), but I am
> assuming that modern versions of gcc will be far more resource hungry
> due to feature creep; maybe this isn't the case though?

It depends.  gcc resource usage goes up and down.  A more serious
issue is that m88k support was removed from recent versions of gcc.

Ian