88k builds on ancient hardware without alloca()

Hi,

I've got an old Tektronix 88k machine with the Green Hills compiler on
it (which is a little on the clunky side) - I'd quite like to get gcc
running on it if at all possible (doesn't need to be anything like a
recent version!)

I tried gcc 1.3.7 at first, but 88k support was incomplete that far
back. At random, I tried 2.4.5 but unfortunately the machine seems to
have no alloca() support.

So, questions:

1) Any ideas if a build exists with 88k support that doesn't require
alloca() to be present? If not then it pretty much kills the whole
idea :-)

2) Has anyone ever documented what typically needs to be done to port to
a new platform for the old builds? I'm still not quite clear on what I
might have to write myself and how much should build straight out of the
box with tweaks to the configuration file. Just because 88k support
exists it presumably doesn't rule out there being quirks with the
Tektronix platform.

3) Same goes with documentation for cross-compiling gcc from a different
machine (say PC/Linux) - did anyone ever document the process for the
older versions of gcc?

4) Primary reason for not going for a later version of gcc is due to
lack of resources on the Tek (it is 15 years old after all), but I am
assuming that modern versions of gcc will be far more resource hungry
due to feature creep; maybe this isn't the case though?

Yes, I'm mad. :)  This machine's for part of a classic computing museum
display, so I'm hoping to get a few interesting graphical programs on
there (xearth, POV, xfractint etc.). A more flexible compiler sure would
help here though.

cheers

Jules