Newbie Hello

I hope I'm in the right place... I am a fairly accomplished php
developer and have written quite a bit of code with it.  However, all of
my coding experience has been with scripting languages and I have never
had to deal with memory allocation and rarely ever dealt with pointers
or casting etc.

For instance...

with scripting I can simply access arguments by referencing the string
at argv[1] or ARGV[1] etc.  It looks like I should be able to do this
with c but I have to reference *argv[x] and *argv[x] only holds the
first character.  The following is a snippet...

int main(int argc, *argv[])
{
	int secondVar=*argv[2];
}

if the second argument is say ... 10, I only get the 1.  There is some
logic that I must follow that I can't see.  I've tried looking at
*argv[2][0] to see if it was one and *argv[2][1] was zero but is
aparently not the case.

I have looked at several howto/instruction documents and none seem to
yeild much.

TIA

Again, I hope I'm in the right place...

Larry