Compile 2.9x source with 3.x

Im a linux newbie. I need help in compiling a HPNA2 (Home Phoneline
Networking adapter) driver using GCC 3.X.

I have succefully compiled this driver using GCC 2.96 on Redhat 7.2
two years ago and it is working fine.

Now, I want to upgrade to Redhat 9 which uses GCC 3.x. I tried to
compile it with GCC 3.x but it gave out lots of error messages. I was
told by someone from another linux forum that the source code in not
compatible with GCC 3.x. It it true? Is there some other way to
compile this driver?

This is the only linux driver that I have found over the internet for
this device so I need to compile it with GCC 3.x to make it work in
Redhat 9. Sad to say, the manufacturer dont provide any linux driver.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks