Re: __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ cont

Tim Canham <Timothy.Canham@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I posted a message earlier about the __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ symbols in
> our gcc code. A number of people on the list sent messages, the gist
> of which seemed to be that they only appear if they are referenced in
> the code. I was able to reproduce that on a small scale, but something
> in our large build is producing those symbols without us referencing
> them. We don't have them in our code.

If you can reproduce this with preprocessed source, please consider
    reporting a bug; see gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html .

> Is there anything else that
> would cause them to be generated besides user code referring to them?

Maybe a macro from a 3rd party lib uses __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ ?

Have you tried running the preprocessor on each file, and grepping the
    output for __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ ? If you have, and
    __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ doesn't occur in the preprocessor output, but
    does occur in the binary, I think you should report a bug.

Maybe you can use some shell hackery to remove these unwanted
    symbols, like this:

nm do | grep -v '__PRETTY_FUNCTION__' | sed -e 's/[0-9a-f]* *[a-zA-Z]/-K/' | xargs strip do