__PRETTY_FUNCTION__ cont

I posted a message earlier about the __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ symbols in our gcc code. A number of people on the list sent messages, the gist of which seemed to be that they only appear if they are referenced in the code. I was able to reproduce that on a small scale, but something in our large build is producing those symbols without us referencing them. We don't have them in our code. Is there anything else that would cause them to be generated besides user code referring to them?
--
Timothy K. Canham
Jet Propulsion Laboratory