Re: Install GCC by copying

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:56:08AM -0500, Mark Richards wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I have an ongoing need to productively work with the version of GCC and
> Binutils that came in the RedHat 6.2 release.  To do so, I received a
> recommendation that I can use RedHat 7.2 and install the compatibility
> libraries and everything will work fine, however after nearly 2 months of
> working with this problem I've been unable to meet success.  For example,
> maybe the libraries were being referenced properly, but I got a raft of
> compiler errors that do not occur under the 6.2 environment (example: gcc
> complains that main() is not typed.  Of course, today we know this is bad,
> but under the RedHat 6.2 environment and version of gcc, there were no
> complaints about it.
>
> Frustrated, I built a machine with RedHat 6.2 and was immediately able to
> work with the (embedded) system tools that I'm developing for.  Although
> this solves my problem, it is very inconvenient.  I'd much rather get things
> working on the development machine.
>
> I just discovered this list.  Maybe you all might have saved me so much
> trouble over the past few months!!
>
> What I'd like to do is copy over the GCC and Binutils I have on the 6.2 box
> to the 7.2 box.  To accomplish this, I need a list of the files that should
> be brought over and where they belong on the 7.2 machine so that I won't
> have to worry about setting paths.  At this point I don't care if I will be
> stuck with an older compiler or libraries, as I'm just trying to get the
> project smartly underway.
>
> Can anyone help?  I'd even consider trying the compatibility libs again,
> under guidance, but I think the copy idea might be a better option.

Just install the compat-egcs*­6.2 RPMs. These are the same tools used to
generate binaries on RH 6.2. (EGCS 1.1.2)

Besides, you should fix the code. I don't understand why you insist on using
obsolete code since if your code compiles cleanly with the GCC on RH 7.2 it
should also compile on RH 6.2 and perhaps even with a completely different
compiler...

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X