RE: LDFLAGS -static

What is the actual error you are receiving?  Can you also post the
command line that is generating the error (not the configure command
line, but the actual command line that is getting executed during
build)?

What I meant is that when linking a program, you have something like
this:

gcc -o prog file1.o file2.o -L/some/path -llibrary1 -llibrary2

When linking dynamically, the ordering of the files and libraries is
pretty much irrelevant.  However, when linking statically, the libraries
used should appear on the command line after all the source (object)
files.  And, if any of the libraries depend on another library on the
command line, they should come after the libraries they depend on.  For
example, if library2 uses library1 in the example above, then they would
be ordered backwards as they are.

However, to fix that, you would need to hack the Makefiles after running
your configure script.  First post the actual error and the command line
producing it.  Then we can go from there.

Cheers,
Lyle