Problems with gcc-3.0.4 and up

Hello, I need some help. I am trying to install gcc on an alpha running Linux 7.2 from RedHat-HP. I have tried 3.3 all the way to 3.0.4. When I used the installed compilers to install other programs from source like Lyx I get the following warning

warning: identifier name `<something here>' conflicts with GNU C++ internal naming strategy

I get lots of these warnings and, at the end, the compilation of the other program fails. I have seen on the web that this is related to the compiler and not the programs I am trying to compile. So, how do I fix this ?. Thanks.

Gus

PS. Currently I have installed gcc 2.96 and 3.0.4. None work. I have also tried 3.2.something. Same warnings.

Gustavo A. Carri, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Polymer Science
Address: Department of Polymer Science
Goodyear Polymer Center