[ gaim-Support Requests-1004380 ] Trillian/other old clients encoding compatibility

Support Requests item #1004380, was opened at 2004-08-05 22:07
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sf-robot
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=200235&aid=1004380&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Gaim has numerous issues when trying to comminicate via
ICQ with Trillian and some other strange clients (like
Miranda).
- The offline ICQ messages get displayed in ISO-8859-1
and not in the encoding they were sent
- The online messages from these broken clients have
the same problem
- Gaim tries to send a unicode message to Trillian and
Trillian does not support unicode.

When the last two items are related to some 3-rd party
clients and can be considered their bugs, the first one
is obviously a flaw in Gaim itself.

Here is what I did to fix it to work with Russian properly:
1) changed the encoding for g_convert to WINDOWS-1251
when the trillian gets a non-unicode message with
unrecognized or ISO-8851-1 encoding.
2) Applied the patch that prevents sending a unicode
messages to Trillian
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=980497&group_id=235&atid=300235)
3) Added a conversion TO WINDOWS-1251 To the part of th
oscar_send_im where it sends the message without any
conversion. I believe that otherwise it was sending a
unicode message to a client that reported that it does
not support it...

The result works fine with Trillian for both ICQ & AIM
- I will keep testing it with other clients.

I would volonteer to create a proper patch from it and
make the code page (referred as WINDOWS-1251 above ;-)
a configuration parameter. Does it make sense or it is
not in sync with the general direction of the Gaim
development?

For the poor souls who needs the Trillian compatibility
now I attach my very dirty patch. It hack the source
code to support russian only (probably at expense of
some other language - English keeps working fine ;-)