Gaim can't connect ICQ+MSN

Hello,

I've got what looks like a weird problem for you today...

Using Gaim 2.0.0 Beta 3 on Windows XP SP2

I am trying to connect to my ICQ and MSN accounts.

ICQ: After about 15-30 seconds (probably a timeout) I get a message
saying simply "Disconnected".
MSN: I immediately get an message saying "Connection error from
Notification server: Writing error"

This is on a new machine, fresh Windows XP SP2 install.

I have tried logging into the same accounts using the version of ICQ
from icq.com as well as Windows Messenger for my MSN account and both
work without a hitch.

I have tried using the same version of Gaim on another Windows XP SP2
machine within the same local network (read: behind the same
router/firewall) to access the same accounts, and it works.

Hypotheses:
A. It's the machine (but ICQ and Windows Messenger can connect, only
Gaim can't)
    A.1. It's something to do with this new nForce 590 motherboard (but
why would ICQ and Windows Messenger get through?)
B. It's the router (but I've checked and the configuration seems to be
the same for both machines)
C. It's Gaim somehow (I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times to no
avail)

Any suggestions on how to investigate further would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

J-S