Re: Submitting patches to xfstests based on OSDI '18 paper (CrashMonkey)

Hi Eryu,

Thanks for the response! Will follow the template you suggested for
writing  test cases.

CrashMonkey generates 300 test cases, which we’ll convert to xfstest.
Should we submit each test case as a different patch, or say 10 test
cases per patch, or all of them in a single patch ? Let us know if
there’s a preference.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 5:45 AM Eryu Guan <guaneryu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Jayashree Mohan wrote:
> > Hi Ted,
> >
> > Thanks for encouraging and helping us in the course of building
> > CrashMonkey for file-system crash consistency testing. Our work is
> > published in OSDI '18
> > (https://www.usenix.org/conference/osdi18/presentation/mohan). While
> > our goal is to enable the integration of a tool like CrashMonkey in
> > the file-system development cycle, we think it would be beneficial to
> > add the test suite of about 300 workloads (consisting of 1 core
> > file-system operation) that we systematically generated, to xfstest.
> > The complete list of these workloads is in the CrashMonkey repository
> > (https://github.com/utsaslab/crashmonkey/tree/master/code/tests/seq1).
> > Given that developers currently use the xfstest, this addition would
> > ensure that simple crash-consistency bugs are eliminated from any
> > future kernel versions.
>
> It's great to have more crash-consistency tests in fstests, thanks!
>

> > If this idea sounds good to you, we can write a patch for including
> > our workloads into xfstest, using dm_flakey. If there's some specific
> > format you want us to follow while writing patches for these
> > crash-consistency tests, we are happy to adopt it.
>
> For starters, please follow the new test template generated by the 'new'
> script, e.g.
>
> ./new generic
>
> which will find the next free test sequence ID in 'generic' dir and
> generate a tests/generic/<seq> test template file, you could modify that
> file for your new tests.
>
> Filipe Manana has contributed many tests that take use of dm_flakey, and
> I find them all well-formated and easy to read (e.g. with clear comments
> explaining the test). I'd recommend you take Filipe Manana's tests as
> example.
>
> Thanks,
> Eryu

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystems Development]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]