Re: Submitting patches to xfstests based on OSDI '18 paper (CrashMonkey)

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Jayashree Mohan wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> Thanks for encouraging and helping us in the course of building
> CrashMonkey for file-system crash consistency testing. Our work is
> published in OSDI '18
> (https://www.usenix.org/conference/osdi18/presentation/mohan). While
> our goal is to enable the integration of a tool like CrashMonkey in
> the file-system development cycle, we think it would be beneficial to
> add the test suite of about 300 workloads (consisting of 1 core
> file-system operation) that we systematically generated, to xfstest.
> The complete list of these workloads is in the CrashMonkey repository
> (https://github.com/utsaslab/crashmonkey/tree/master/code/tests/seq1).
> Given that developers currently use the xfstest, this addition would
> ensure that simple crash-consistency bugs are eliminated from any
> future kernel versions.

It's great to have more crash-consistency tests in fstests, thanks!

> If this idea sounds good to you, we can write a patch for including
> our workloads into xfstest, using dm_flakey. If there's some specific
> format you want us to follow while writing patches for these
> crash-consistency tests, we are happy to adopt it.

For starters, please follow the new test template generated by the 'new'
script, e.g.

./new generic

which will find the next free test sequence ID in 'generic' dir and
generate a tests/generic/<seq> test template file, you could modify that
file for your new tests.

Filipe Manana has contributed many tests that take use of dm_flakey, and
I find them all well-formated and easy to read (e.g. with clear comments
explaining the test). I'd recommend you take Filipe Manana's tests as
example.

Thanks,
Eryu

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystems Development]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]