Re: What's up with "locks: change POSIX lock ownership on execve when files_struct is displaced"?

On Sat, 2018-05-19 at 15:47 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> There is quite of noise currently with xfstests failures.  In addition
> to the fsync/EIO failures, there is also something going on with
> dm-thin, etc.  And then there's generic/484, which is failing for all
> ext4 configs.
>
> According to test script for generic/484, the test failure is fixed by
> the patch:
>
> locks: change POSIX lock ownership on execve when files_struct is displaced
>
> From what I can tell, the patch was last submitted on March 17th, with
> comments from Eric Beiderman on April 2nd and 3rd --- but nothing
> since then:
>
>       https://lists.gt.net/linux/kernel/2941364
>
> Are you still hoping to land this patch for 4.17?
>
> Thanks, regards,
>
> 						- Ted

No, it's not suitable for inclusion. After I sent the above patch, I
realized that it would break some important filesystems (like NFS).

Eric sounded like he had the best approach to fix it, but it's non-
trivial and somewhat outside the bounds of the locking code. I haven't
had time to attempt a patch for it so far.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>