Re: ext4 quota tests fail with CONFIG_QFMT_V2=n

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:46:49AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:

> E.g. OCFS2 has it's own quota format (it selects only CONFIG_QUOTA,
> CONFIG_QUOTA_TREE) so forcing QFMT_V2 would just add unused code. So I'm
> not much in favor of forcing a particular quota format in Kconfig. On
> userspace side V2 format is the default for a long time and I haven't seen
> any setup with V1 quota file for years. So I guess making it harder to
> create new V1 files and slowly deprecating the support is a good idea.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  Given that both OCFS2 and XFS have their
config option for quota, I wonder if it might not be a good idea for
EXT4 to also add a CONFIG_EXT4_QUOTA which selects CONFIG_QUOTA,
CONFIG_QUOTA_TREE, and QFMT_V2.

The alternative would be to have ext4 silently disable support for the
"quota" feature (since the built-in quota inodes have to be V2) if
CONFIG_QFMT_V2 is not selected.

I think the first option is superior; do you agree?

  	    	  	    	      	     - Ted