Re: how to modify the `variable` property?

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 8:23 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Well, a reject pattern will be applied only when caches is reading.
>
> By the way, this behaviour is undocumented in the `fonts.conf`
> manpage.

Sure. This can be definitely improved. that said:

--- quoted from doc
Fonts matched by an rejectfont element are "blacklisted"; such fonts are
excluded from the set of fonts used to resolve list and match requests
--- end

And "font" target is applied to the result on matching. So it may not
be that hard to imagine matching will be processed after filtering by
acceptfont/rejectfont.

> I answered too quickly.  It apparently doesn't work for LilyPond,
> which uses an application-specific Fontconfig configuration file.  In
> other words, I need a method to reject fonts with index > 0xFFFF that
> doesn't need rescanning of all fonts in the OS, something like

They don't have a sort of 50-user.conf loaded?

> ```
> <selectfont>
>   <rejectfont>
>     <pattern>
>       <patelt>
>         <more>
>           <name>index</name>
>           <int>65535</int>
>         </more>
>       </patelt>
>     </pattern>
>   </rejectfont>
> </selectfont>
> ```
>
> Any idea how this could be achieved?

Unfortunately not because such conditions can't be represented in FcPattern.

> If it weren't for backward compatibility I would simply ask to add a
> new property `namedinstance` that gets set as soon as the font index
> is larger than 0xFFFF...

That would be possible. please file an rfe to
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/fontconfig/-/issues

Thanks,

--
Akira TAGOH