Help with using Fontconfig on Cygwin: "Cannot load default config file"

Hi,

I'm struggling to use Cygwin to port my tiny application over to
Windows. It uses Poppler. I've built it and bundled it with copies of
the shared libraries, but at execution time I get

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed

It appears that Fontconfig requires a configuration file and can't do
without one. Before I go trying to handcraft a configuration file or
playing with environment variables, perhaps I'm not grasping the
intended way this is supposed to work. The documentation seems very
UNIX-centric, and I would like guidance on how I can port my
application.

Thanks,
John