Re: Get width of each character.

Hello Dheeraj,

I think fontconfig.h does not provide any function calculating string or character width.
But Xft.h does.
You extract pertinent data from your FcPattern like family, size, slant, weight and for you spacing which must be 0.
Then you open your font like this (example) :

XftFont * font=XftFontOpenName(display,screen,newFont);

where newFont could be "Liberation Sans-12:bold:roman:proportional"

You can now calculate the width of the character 'm' via this command :

XGlyphInfo glyphInfo;
XftTextExtentsUtf8 (display,font,"m",1,&glyphInfo);

glyphInfo.width contains the width of your character