Re: Another proposal for saving custom fonts in fontconfig

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 6:16 PM Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please don't do that. You're propagating a technical facet of a font
> family (variability) inside the font family name. This is the completely
> wrong model, user-visible font lists should only include lists of font
> designs, and the text stack select the correct technical implementation
> (among those available) transparently depending on its rendering needs.

Indeed, it looks like feasible like what you said. but if I understand
correctly, it isn't a custom family name for varfonts but style name.
Though I doubt how one can effectively name it less than actual
parameters of fontvariations.

> User-visible font lists are not here to make humans compensate app
> defects in font file selection.
>
> I firmly intend to mask all those technical font names Fedora-side when
> they exist upstream, and rewrite them within fontconfig rules so there
> is a single font family exposed to users (as was already done a decade
> ago for the Droid mess).
>
> So no:
>    Foo Variable
>    Foo Math
>    Foo Hebrew
>    Foo TT
>    Foo OT
>    Foo my text stack sucks so I make font file selection a human problem
> exposed to the user.
>
> Just a single Foo family, and pango and others have to learn how to
> select the correct pile of bytes within the files tagged as Foo to
> format the text user wants to be rendered in Foo.
>
> If fontconfig is not providing pango and others sufficient info to make
> this selection reliably, fix that instead of involving the user.
>
> Let's not reproduce the horror that PS1 font selection was in TEX, for
> next-gen OpenType features, based on fontconfig.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

Akira TAGOH