Re: fontconfig daemon

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 08/28/16 07:56 AM, Keith Packard wrote:
>>> I can imagine that such a small tool would be beneficial for all
>>> platforms.
>>
>> Requiring that fc-cache be run after installing fonts might be more
>> practical. One issue with this is on multi-arch systems where you need
>> *two* cache files, but you only get one fc-cache program in your path.
>
> The solution I've been using on Solaris for this is to deliver both
> 32-bit & 64-bit copies of fc-cache and having them both run by our
> service management framework on both every reboot and any time a
> package delivering fonts is installed (our package manager has specific
> support for activating services when package operations have finished for
> post-install or post-remove type actions).

Yeah, that's available in most (every?) distro; there's still the issue
of user-installed fonts to deal with.

> https://hg.java.net/hg/solaris-x11~x-s12-clone/file/3f159f60ac51/open-src/lib/fontconfig/fc-cache.sh

I'm thinking that 'fc-cache' should become a wrapper script which finds
all of the architecture-specific fc-cache binaries and runs them. That
would make your script a bunch simpler.

--
-keith