What sets the Cache file size on windows?

Both inkscape and my ft_example program create one cache file when they run on Windows,
which are, respectively:

ef9c9ad8cc5857eb63cb36660bc8bd202-le32d8.cache-3 935KB
ef9c9ad8cc5857eb63cb36660bc8bd202-mipsel.cache-2 456KB

The sizes are always the same, with Inkscape's about 2X larger than my little test program. The test program calls FcInit() and I have no idea how Inkscape does it, probably indirectly through Pango. So why are the cache sizes different and why does mine use the old mipsel whereas inkscape uses the newer le32d8? Also what is the difference between cache-2 and cache-3? This is all on the the same Windows system, with the same fonts, with the same config files, using as near as I can tell the same fontconfig-1.dll! (There are several copies of this on disk, but they all have the same md5 hash. There seems to be no "ldd" in Msys, so I cannot say for sure what is being used, but the link command should
have attached the same dll.)

Thank you,

David Mathog
mathog@xxxxxxxxxxx