Re: FreeType now includes Infinality subpixel support

On 06/21/2012 02:33 AM, pgajdos@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:56:14PM -0500, Infinality wrote:
like OpenSUSE are planning on using subpixel hinting by default now that it's
Hmm, I have packaged fontconfig-infinality for users that are able to
compile Freetype with subpixel rendering. We surely cannot ship this
library with subpixel hinting support compiled in if this is covered
by patents as described for example here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering#Patents

So strict lawyer's clarification is needed here.

I'm certainly no lawyer, but my understanding is that subpixel related patents have expired:
http://www.freetype.org/patents.html