Re: FreeType now includes Infinality subpixel support

On 06/20/2012 09:22 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Infinality <infinality@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As far as I know, there really isn't bytecode that is specific to Cleartype.
  Bytecode is bytecode.  The Cleartype flag (or the phrase "designed for
Cleartype") generally means that the font doesn't contain the legacy hacks
used in fonts like Arial, Courier New, etc., which are problematic when
being displayed with antialiasing on a TT rasterizer that is following
specs.  The subpixel hinting functionality works around the issues with the
legacy fonts, while allowing modern fonts to render as though they are
"designed for Cleartype".   Or am I not understanding what you mean here?
Well, the question was how it looks when rendering the text with
mixing up "ClearType" fonts and legacy fonts, because it seems that
there is/was? the case in Windows that one is smooth and one is jaggy
when ClearType is turning on.
As you said the above, I guess it won't happens?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "legacy fonts".  If you are talking about bitmap (non-tt) fonts then those would of course always render jaggy.  Any ttf fonts with (semi-good) instructions should render with subpixel hinting under Freetype like they would with Windows w/Cleartype.  (The goal is to render them similarly to the MS rasterizer, and potentially even better!)

The choices you get in Windows (as far as I know) are to have Cleartype on
or off.  In fontconfig this would correspond to the below configurations.  A
link to a corresponding image is above each configuration.  (Don't pay
attention to the text in it, because it's the same across all images):
Thanks. that would be useful. it may be a good idea to add those
configuration as reference in fontconfig.

Yes, that might be worth mentioning somewhere.  I know that some major distros like OpenSUSE are planning on using subpixel hinting by default now that it's in Freetype.  Other distros have packages that are available too.  More people will likely be using subpixel hinting now that it's in Freetype, so having documentation as to "what settings do what" might be good.  If you need me to help you out with that, I'd be more than willing.  I do have my git repo of "fontconfig-infinality" which contains TT fonts that I know work well with subpixel hinting.  Perhaps that could be somehow incorporated into fontconfig itself, now that subpixel hinting is in Freetype??

Thanks,
Erik