Re: Lucida Sans/Grande/Unicode matching confusion

S Page wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 04:45, Raimund Steger<rs@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
If all you want is an alias for "Lucida Sans", the following in
~/.fonts.conf should work:

Thanks! I mention both Lucida Sans and Lucida Grande in one alias and
it seems to work:
  <alias>
   <family>Lucida Sans</family>
   <family>Lucida Grande</family>
   <accept>
    <family>Lucida Sans Unicode</family>
   </accept>
  </alias>

Hm, normally only one <family> is supported in the left hand side of an alias rule I think. See fontconfig-user.html or:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.fonts.fontconfig/3741

However: The spelling "Lucida Sans" is used by TTF fonts bundled with
certain Sun software (Solaris, JDK), so maybe you already have them, and
adding something like

  <dir>/usr/java/jre/lib/fonts</dir>  ...

There don't appear to be any fonts in my "IcedTea6" OpenJDK.

I see, but if you should someday be in the need of further improving your legal situation (over using a borrowed copy of Lucida Sans Unicode), installing an Oracle JDK could be an idea.

Raimund