Re: Catching sans-serif fonts

Hi,

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 11:24:23 +0200, Raimund Steger <rs@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to use the fc commands in order to have a list of fonts that
are sans-serif fonts, or monospaced fonts. I've found that for
monospaced font the command 'fc-list ":spacing=mono" family' does the
trick, but i've no idea about how to select sans-serif fonts.

That mechanism doesn't use a font property, but expands "sans" etc. to a list of well-known alternatives, which is then matched against what you actually have on your system.

Generally if you do

   fc-match --sort sans-serif
   fc-match --sort serif

the sans-serif or serif fonts will come out first, but I don't think there's any guarantee about what the fonts at the end of the list will look like.

Thanks for your explanation. It's strange because the command gives something, but not all the fonts aliasing sans-serif defined in /etc/fonts/conf.avail are listed:

For example "Liberation Sans" is installed:

$ fc-list | grep "Liberation Sans"
Liberation Sans:style=Regular
Liberation Sans:style=Bold
Liberation Sans:style=Bold Italic
Liberation Sans:style=Italic

This font is put in the sans-serif generic family group thanks to the /etc/fonts/conf.avail/45-latin.conf:

<!--
  Sans-serif faces
 -->
	<alias>
		<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
		<family>DejaVu Sans</family>
		<family>Liberation Sans</family>
		<family>Arial</family>
		<family>Helvetica</family>
		<family>Verdana</family>
		<family>Albany AMT</family>
		<family>Albany</family>
		<family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
		<family>Luxi Sans</family>
	</alias>

But it is not listed by fc-match:

$ fc-match --sort sans-serif|grep "Liberation Sans"

That gives nothing.

Any idea how it works?

Thanks,
BG