Re: Catching sans-serif fonts

Hi,

ben.guillon wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to use the fc commands in order to have a list of fonts that
are sans-serif fonts, or monospaced fonts. I've found that for
monospaced font the command 'fc-list ":spacing=mono" family' does the
trick, but i've no idea about how to select sans-serif fonts.

What I don't understand is that there's already a mechanism in font
config files to associate a generic family like sans-serif alias to
actual fonts.

That mechanism doesn't use a font property, but expands "sans" etc. to a list of well-known alternatives, which is then matched against what you actually have on your system.

Generally if you do

  fc-match --sort sans-serif
  fc-match --sort serif

the sans-serif or serif fonts will come out first, but I don't think there's any guarantee about what the fonts at the end of the list will look like.

Raimund