Re: fc-cache succeeds, but fc-list still gives empty result on Wine

On 2011-09-19 20:30-0400 Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On 09/19/11 19:57, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

        <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>

So, technically fontconfig is supposed to look in the windows font dir for
fonts.  And apparently it does, but by default Wine has no fonts there.  See
the first few paragraphs here:

 http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Fonts

One way to fix this would be to include /usr/share/fonts even on Windows.
It's harmless, right?

Probably, but I just don't have the Wine experience (and no Windows
experience at all) to give you a definitive response about what the
best fix should be.  One important issue is the above wiki seems quite
dated in spots so I don't know how much you should trust it. Also, you
don't want to have fontconfig do something brute force for Wine when
there might be a much better way to get the job done.

Note under Wine you can look at the registry since it is in human
readable form (as .wine/system.reg).  By removing all of .wine and
starting fresh with winecfg (which recreates that registry file and
which knows nothing about GTK+ at that stage) I discovered all my
_Linux_ /usr/share/fonts/truetype fonts mentioned there before any
attempts to run fc-cache.  This is for wine-1.3.26 which I built
myself on Linux.  So obviously Wine knows where to find Linux TrueType
fonts for that case, but somehow that information is not being used by
font-config until you also tell it via the patch to font.conf where to
find them as well.

I think you need a Wine expert to give you advice on the best fix, but
the patch is a useful workaround until that happens.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin