fontconfig/freetype: resolving glyph index from another font when base font does not contain particular glyph

Hi everyone,

I have fontconfig and freetype installed, and “working” for rendering “base” fonts, i.e. the family name is resolved properly, like Arial, and if the glyph is contained within that font, all the rendering proceeds.

Now, I need to figure out what is necessary to “properly” implement glyph fallback …

1)       What API calls do I use to request fontconfig, given a glyph index, or character code, to find the font which contains the glyph I need?

2)       I know fontconfig contains a map of the glyph indices within the font, so is the process obtaining a list of font faces from fontconfig, and iterating them one by one, or does fontconfig have a more direct approach?

I guess the above two questions are the same, but I just wanted to clarify things even further.  I will look at Pango, but if some can provide me with the “simple/direct” approach for accomplishing this, I would truly appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

-Derek