fc-cache debugging

Hi all.
I am trying to build fontconfig on the Mac. I have it built and running
however whenever i run fc-cache to rebuild my font caches (included when
its run on upon install) i starts up and then does nothing. I ahve left
it running over night bu it gets nowhere.

How do i begin to debug this? what are my next steps?

Glenn Martin
http://www.technicalstressings.com