2007 Text Layout Summit - ANNOUNCEMENT and UPDATE

On 4/27/07, Ed Trager <ed.trager@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

Now that I've got some confirmation about what's going to happen at aKademy,
here's the official 2007 TEXT LAYOUT SUMMIT ANNOUNCEMENT and UPDATE:

         ANNOUNCEMENT
         2007 TEXT LAYOUT SUMMIT AT AKADEMY JULY 4-6 IN GLASGOW
                => FOR CHEAPEST (STUDENT-STYLE) ACCOMODATION,
                      REGISTER FOR AKADEMY BEFORE MONDAY
                => LIMITED LINUX FOUNDATION TRAVEL FUNDING
                      FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT

         The 2007 Text Layout Summit is scheduled to take place in
         conjunction with aKademy 2007 this summer in Glasgow, Scotland.
         The dates for the 3-day Summit are Wednesday July 4th through
         Friday, July 6th which coincide with the aKademy's scheduled "BOF"
         sessions and coding days.

         The 2007 Text Layout Summit Wiki pages are started at:

         *  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/TextLayout -- General Info
         *  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/TextLayout2007 -- THIS YEAR'S PAGE

         Please help out by adding information.  This is your chance to
         put all issues important to you onto the agenda or to volunteer to
         present a session paper or moderate a discussion.

         I am also very pleased to announce that the Linux Foundation (LF)
         is graciously sponsoring this event by providing us with a limited
         amount of travel funds for select  individuals who really need it.
         Anyone  interested in applying for travel sponsorship should apply
         here:

                    http://www.linux-foundation.org/travel/

         Be sure to specify "aKademy" and note that you are going to attend
         the *Text Layout Summit*.

         If you want really CHEAP accomodations, YOU NEED TO REGISTER
         WITH AKADEMY BEFORE *MONDAY*:

                   http://www.kde.org.uk/akademy/registration.php

                                                     *  *  *

         2007 TEXT LAYOUT SUMMIT INFORMATION UPDATE

1. Conference Room:

I just heard back from Jonathan Riddell (of Kubuntu) and the KDE
folks. AKademy has 2 rooms available for "BoF" sessions : Johnathan
notes that having one taken up for Wed / Thur / Fri is entirely
possible, although it might be a bit of a "squeeze" to schedule if it
turns out that there are a lot of BoFs.  I guess that is an unknown at
this point in time.  Please register for aKademy and note your
attendance at the Text Layout Summit so that we can secure the room!

2. Group Trip:

Johnathan also notes that Thursday is the group trip to Bonny Banks.
The schedule for the trip is a lot earlier than I thought it was going
to be:

    * 13;00 Busses leave Glasgow
    * 17:00 Barbeque on the beach
    * 20:00 Return

I'm sure people are going to want to go on the trip.  My suggestion is
that we simply start Thursday earlier in the morning, and utilize the
group outing as a chance to brainstorm in that more informal setting.
If we plan our sessions carefully,  I think it will work out.

3. Video / Audio Streaming & Internet Connections:

AKademy plans to have streaming for the main conference room(s) and it
should be possible to set it up for the Text Layout Summit room as
well.  The Text Layout Summit room will have a projector and internet
connections.

Best Wishes -- Ed Trager