Re: fontconfig configuration file

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

The error I get is during the start of X... So I tried tracing the startx command, but there is no reference at all to anything that has to do with fontconfig.

That makes me think that you have multiple libfontconfig installed -- some using non-existent config.

I did a locate and there is only one libfontconfig on my system.
I did mess around with the fontconfig, see my original post...

I tried tracing startkde, but didn't really find a clue. In the .xsession_errors file I get:

strace needs switches to follow children too.

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

Maybe try:

 strings /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so | egrep "/.*(conf|font)"

Or wherever your libfontconfig is at.

That worked for me on two systems to show where my configuration directory was at.

It returns
/fonts.cache-1
~/.fonts.cache-1
/etc/fonts
/usr/share/fonts

there is a config file in /etc/fonts, but not in /usr/share/fonts, that directory doesn't exist.

what to do now?

 Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/