Fontconfig compile errors

Hiya --

I've been trying to compile fontconfig all day to get Gimp 2 to work,
but I keep getting errors when I run 'make' after what seems to me a
successful 'configure'.  Could anyone please walk me through the steps
to take to successfully compile and install fontconfig?  I'm running
RH9, by the way, and have a recent version of glib installed properly.

Thanks!

Haig