Re: Fio docs say io_submit_mode=offload with async IO is not reliable?

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 3:20 PM Nick Neumann <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah, thank you very much for finding and sharing those. That is very
> helpful. If Jens or Jeff Furlong has any memories of some of the cases
> with io_uring that are problematic, it would be great to know - I
> could include mention of them while updating the howto/man/comment
> Niklas mentioned.

I think I'm hitting one of those problematic cases now trying to run
one of the docs samples, but on windows. That is, this job file
(targeted at a disk device):

[fixed-rate-submit]
size=128m
rw=read
ioengine=windowsaio
iodepth=32
direct=1
# by setting the submit mode to offload, we can guarantee a fixed rate of
# submission regardless of what the device completion rate is.
io_submit_mode=offload
rate_iops=1000

just spins forever, never performing any reads.

Changing ioengine to sync (and deleting direct=1, necessary on
windows) allows the job to run to completion.