Fio docs say io_submit_mode=offload with async IO is not reliable?

I'm learning about io_submit_mode and avoiding the coordinated
omission problem. The fio docs cover the mode and give two examples of
using it. But there is a comment in the docs that says

"Note that this option cannot reliably be used with async IO engines."

I don't really understand why? Further, both examples in the docs of
using the option specify the libaio engine, which is asynchronous,
adding to my confusion.

Perhaps the comment means to say "sync" and not "async" - I could see
how pushing I/O to a pool of threads in the sync case could be odd,
but not necessarily "unreliable", so maybe not. Just trying to
understand what danger the comment is trying to warn of.

Thanks,
Nick