FW: re; fio / test result diffs

My company builds SDWan network appliances and use SSD's and NVMe's for several key purposes.

In order to qualify upcoming new disks for our systems, we typically run 2 hour test runs using fio, for the following:

seqrd, seqwr, seqrw, seqrd_seqwr
randrd, randwr, randrw, randrd_randwr, randrd_seqwr

We've noticed that single disk mode tests (ie seqrd, seqwr, etc) show high numbers than their counter parts in multiple disk mode tests (ie seqrd_seqwr).   But we don't understand why.  This may part normal, but we don't understand how testing functions to explain this.  And if it's not normal, what factors might account for it.

I've include a table of test data below.  You'll notice, as an example, the seq read and seq write numbers are much high than the seq read part of seqrd_seqwr and even high than seqrw.

I've also included a package of fio and test execution files in case that helps.

Also prior to each test run, we do a prefill write to the disk and a clearing of the buffer cache, if that helps.

  FIO            SSSTC_CVB-8D120_FW_CZJG801
  Seq Read                               533MiB/s
  Seq Write                              317MiB/s
  Seq Read/Write                   138MiB/s & 138MiB/s   ;  why values are lower here?
  Seq Read, Seq Write           152MiB/s & 152MiB/s   ;  why values are lower here?
  Rand Read                             532MiB/s
  Rand Write                            253MiB/s
  Rand Read/Write                 129MiB/s & 129MiB/s  ; same issue
  Rand Read, Rand Write       136MiB/s & 136MiB/s ; same issue
  Rand/Read and Seq/Write  145MiB/s & 145MiB/s ; same issue

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Tom Gibson
mailto:thomas.gibson@xxxxxxx
HPE/Aruba