Re: Don't benchmark with fio

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 7:33 PM Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 14:17, Seena Fallah <seenafallah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks all for your replies.
> >
> > Maybe if you like it would be a good feature in fio to support this
> > type of needs :)
> >

> cd /to/filesystem; fio --size=100k --bs=4k --rw=write --name=notabenchmark
>
> ? Obviously this could go only to the cache so maybe you want
> end_fsync=1 (https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_man.html#cmdoption-arg-end-fsync
> ) etc. If you really want to do only one I/O I suppose you could
> change the block size to 100k...

I have tried it but still going to benchmark. I just want to
read/write for example 4 IO to see how long does it take?

> > I have one more question about xfs_io, I don't know if it's a right
> > place but if it not I'm sorry. I have run xfs_io and gets this result:
> > 100.000000 bytes, 1 ops; 0.0000 sec (1.514 MiB/sec and 15873.0159 ops/sec)
> > What is the 15873.0159 ops/sec? Did xfs_io really do 15873.0159 iops or 1iops?
>
> What if it did only 1 op but timed how long it took to do all the I/O
> (e.g. around 63 microseconds)? When you average that out...

The main goal is I am writing a prober for my file system that is
attack to a vm for example and I don't want to load on my file system.
I just want to probe it and see if it writes 4 IO in a time that was
done last time or not?

> You can see the code here:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfsprogs-dev.git/tree/io/pwrite.c#n468

I see the code but it wasn't in a pattern I have sent to you. Am I wrong?
 .