fio pauses after each W loop if rate limit is set

Hi,

I'm only starting with fio and I'm observing a behaviour that I don't
understand so I'd like to ask you for some explanation. Any
suggestions will be much appreciated.

What I'm trying to do is have a set of W jobs, each iterating over a
number of files, writing each one completely before moving forward. I
want to keep going for a specified amount of time.

Since I understand (and confirmed) that time_based would block fio
from moving to next file even after writing out its full size
(https://github.com/axboe/fio/issues/358) I'm trying to use 'runtime'
combined with a large number of loops, making sure that job still has
iterations to do when it gets stopped.

I get the expected result, however after each loop (i.e. after
iterating once over all of files) all writes pause, with each loop for
a longer amount of time(!). This behaviour is only observed when there
is rate limit set for writes.

Attached you can find a simplified test scenario (one job, 5 loops, 10
files of 100M) and two log files (--debug=io,file,helperthread,rate)
showing what happens when rate limit is set and not.

[global]
directory=/mnt/ext4
runtime=10m
[write]
rw=write
loops=5
nrfiles=10
openfiles=1
filesize=100M
file_service_type=sequential
direct=1
bs=100M
;rate=,100M

In the case rate limit is set I see the job going through all files as
expected, then there is no activity (during which time only
helperthread does some logging) and then next iteration starts. The
pause is confirmed by watching output of "dstat -d" - each second
dstat logs expected W limited to expected rate, then between
iterations there is 0 MB/s writes, then it resumes. The more bandwidth
used by W the longer the pauses.

No such behaviour occurs when not using rate limiting.

Am I missing something? Should I configure the job differently, or is
it somehow expected? Or is something wrong?

env: Centos 7.7.1908, 3.10.0-1062.12.1.el7.x86_64
fio: 3.7 (from base centos repo)

Thanks a lot!

Best
Mateusz