From: fio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <fio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Sitsofe Wheeler
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:11 AM
To: Mike Kingsbury
Cc: fio
Subject: Re: Running FIO until DUT leaves steadystate

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 at 16:29, Mike Kingsbury <mike.kingsbury@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Reading through the docs and looked at some examples, its not clear if
> its possible to accomplish this. In our case, we're attempting to
> evaluate SSDs and determine when they start internal garbage
> collection and how much performance drops.  Is there a way to detect
> steadystate, and then exit when the DUT performance leaves that
> steadystate?

Not really. You can use the steadystate option (https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-steadystate
) to try and determine when you're in the steadystate but then you're kind of stuck. Maybe once you knew what expected latencies were, you could then use max_latency (https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-max-latency
) to allow a job to exit if one got obviously too high? You would have to do a fair bit of intermediate storage and processing to make this work and it's not clear how reliable it would be though...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/